Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I got charged with possesion of marijuana less than 50g

Customer Question

hi, i got charged with possesion of marijuana less than 50g for the 3rd time. Do you think i will go to jail? xx
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
While up to 6 months in jail is possible for a NJ marijuana defense, simple possession of under 50g is still only a disorderly persons offense, even if it is your third time around.
What was the penalty you got the first two times and how long ago were your priors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got probation on my first time and, my second i got it dissmissed no probation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 years ago was my last charge. So you think they can give me probation this time?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. It's still early in the morning, and I'm not up to full speed yet.
Yes, if it's been three years I'm confident that they are not going to offer you jail. I don't know if you've had probation already. If you have not, or have only had unsupervised probation, then supervised probation is an option. A heavy fine or a lot of community service would also be an option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do think they'll suspend my license?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Yes. They though if you can demonstrate a hardship the judge may be willing to waive that requirement.