Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a question case that they accused my friend

Customer Question

hi I have a question for a case that they accused my friend for a murder case but was released after questioning and its been 6 years that passed and they got the guys who did it but they lied that he was there but it was only brought up in court but a
witnss testified that he was not there and he was somewhere else can it still be brought up in the case if the case close and the guys were sentenced
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
There is no statute of limitations on a homicide, which means that your friend could theoretically be arrested and tried for murder at any time. That possibility will always be something he has to live with.
That said, however, the fact that the police released him after questioning and while others were arrested, charged, convicted and sentenced and the case got closed indicates that your friend is almost certainly not at risk and that the police don't feel they made a mistake in releasing him after questioning.