Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My son has been notified that the states attorney office is wanting to amend a case that w

Customer Question

My son has been notified that the states attorney office is wanting to amend a case that was found not guilty and Judge signed off on 8 months ago. can they states attorney reopen. The case went to court no evidence found judge signed off. and then week or so later my son is notified by states attorney that he needs to turn his self in??? we contacted a lawyer who had work for the states attorney office. it was all taken care over the phone.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If the case went to trial and the defendant was found not guilty, then the same case could not be brought again by the same court because it would be double jeopardy. However, if there was on trial and the court dismissed the case, the DA can refile charges unless the judge dismissed it with prejudice.