How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25959
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has been notified that the states attorney office is wanting to amend a case that w

Customer Question

My son has been notified that the states attorney office is wanting to amend a case that was found not guilty and Judge signed off on 8 months ago. can they states attorney reopen. The case went to court no evidence found judge signed off. and then week or so later my son is notified by states attorney that he needs to turn his self in??? we contacted a lawyer who had work for the states attorney office. it was all taken care over the phone.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If the case went to trial and the defendant was found not guilty, then the same case could not be brought again by the same court because it would be double jeopardy. However, if there was on trial and the court dismissed the case, the DA can refile charges unless the judge dismissed it with prejudice.

Related Criminal Law Questions