Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

My son was called to do a polygraph that happened

Customer Question

My son was called to do a polygraph for something that happened over a year ago. He was at a party where there was a girl who said she was sexually assaulted and he was in the room at the time. He was drunk and is foggy on who did what but he is homosexual and was not involved. Does he have to take the polygraph? Also the girl had texted him that she knows he had nothing to do with it. We do have her texts
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Absolutely No. He does not. There is no legal obligation to participate in any type of investigation. It could be they are asking many to take the polygraph to help rule out suspects to narrow it down.
However, the results are never conclusive and are not admissible in court. They are an investigative tool and as such it is possible even an innocent person could fail it
If he wants to participate, I suggest he consult with a local criminal attorney to discuss fully all the ramifications and to be present when the test is being given