Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

If someone knew about a 16yr old dating and having

Customer Question

If someone knew about a 16yr old dating and having sexual intercourse with a 20ys old can that person get in trouble as well with the law if they knew about the situation x
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
No, there is no duty on any person to report any type of criminal activity that they are aware of unless they are a law enforcement officer. So the person who is aware that this is happening is not guilty of any type of criminal offense unless they are the parent of the 16 yr old and it is unlawful for a 16 yr old to have sexual relations in their particular state. If this is the parent and it is illegal, then the parent can be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, neglect, or some other similar offense.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay what if the mother has no idea about it and no this is not the mother I just wanna know if I or my spouse could get in trouble with the cops or the law for knowing about them or know that they had sexual intercourse in our house
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
""Okay what if the mother has no idea about it and no this is not the mother I just wanna know if I or my spouse could get in trouble with the cops or the law for knowing about them or know that they had sexual intercourse in our house""
.
.
No, you aren't in any trouble because just knowing that a criminal act may have occurred doesn't impute any liability to you. You are under no legal duty to act to report it as a private citizen. But if you are aware of it now, it would not be a good idea to allow it to continue in your house as you then could bear "accomplice liability" for allowing it to occur should a parent or other party decide to try and file a statutory rape complaint.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I just wanna know since I live in the state of Texas and just wanna know about the Texas law before I say anything to anyone I don't wanna get in trouble for something that I knew about yes I have the condoms to the the that was living w me no I didn't know he would actually use them because at first he and her was not using them at all and I both work with her and her mother
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in TX, the age of consent is 17, so if the female is 16, this is illegal conduct. Since the male is 4 years older, there is no "close in age" (i.e. Romeo and Juliet) exemption.
.
But no, if you became aware of this after the fact, you aren't in any trouble.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response it was helpful I'm just worried I'll get in trouble for knowing or supplying the condoms to be honest didn't think he was gonna use them since I don't use them at all I'm just really worried is all
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Nope, supplying condoms to an adult is not a crime. What he did with them after that is his own concern and if he chose to violate the law, that doesn't have anything to do with you.
.
.
thanks