Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I was stopped by LP at Kohl's in California. I had

Customer Question

Hi. I was stopped by LP at Kohl's in California. I had $100.00 approximately that I tried to take. I have priors. I am currently in treatment but apparently not working very well. I know I'm a bad person. I know this already. I have people that count on
me and fear I will go straight to jail. LP took down my info and I signed something promising I won't go back to kohl's or get arrested on the spot. He let me go. Will they still file case with DA or police ? Are they going to press charges, more than likely?
Why didn't they arrest me in the spot? Please answer. I'm such a mess I've been up for days
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Everyone makes mistakes. That doesn't make you a bad person.
Often, if the store lets you go without calling the police, they'll send you a letter asking you to pay a settlement amount in exchange for them agreeing not to pursue civil and criminal charges. As long as you agree (and pay), the incident won't show up on your record. That letter could take a couple of weeks to show up.
Charges are usually filed immediately, or if the person reuses to repay the store after being asked to do so. It is possible that the LP officer thought a warning would be sufficient.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.