Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Yesterday I was contacted asking if I would hold some

Customer Question

yesterday I was contacted asking if I would hold some jewelry until Monday. they needed $30.00 so I met them at the park looked through the stuff and gave her the money. they wrote a receipt for the jewelry later on I learned this jewelry may be stolen
and doesn't belong to them. I met them at the park. shortly after we left there was a theft call to the police at the park. I don't know what to do about this
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
What information did you learn that makes you think that the jewelry was stolen. Are you looking to turn in the person who gave you the jewelry? If not, what's your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I heard he stole it and i don't want to turn him in but also don't want any trouble
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
If you had reason to know that the property was stolen at the time that you took it for $30, you could be charged with criminal possession of stolen property. For that matter, hanging onto the property now that you know that it was stolen can get you charged with criminal possession of stolen property if anyone finds out that you have it.
You can get a lawyer who can anonymously (so you don't get charged)turn the jewelry over to the police or return the property to its rightful owner. That would get rid of the stolen property without your having to implicate your friend.
If your friend doesn't give you the money back, you're not going to be able to unload stolen property. You can give it back to him, but now that you know, your hands are potentially dirty.