Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Being that I have a money laundering conviction 10 years ago

Customer Question

Being that I have a money laundering conviction 10 years ago my attorney is telling me that the assistant DA was aware of this seizure and could lead to charges. Just because I have cash to purchase property 70k how can that lead to charges or is my attorney
over reaching on this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
It sounds to me that your attorney is warning you to be sure that you can account for how you lawfully obtained the $70K you want to use to purchase property, because given your history it might make the DA's radar screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have over 100k filed on my last 2yrs tax returns. I worked hard to save that money. Are my FULL tax returns enough
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
They should be, assuming your business is legitimate.
Your lawyer is likely just being overcautious, but better safe than sorry. If you buy property with laundered money, the state could also take the house from you and institute forfeiture proceedings.