Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

So I tried to file a claim outside of the

Customer Question

Hi so I tried to file a claim for unemployment outside of the US not realizing that this was not allowed. I was only gone for a couple of days. So when I went to submit it, it gave me a message screen saying that I couldn't file because I was out of country, so I simply closed it out until I got back to NY. So I logged on and it and it has an option to file the claim for still for same week. I don't want to get in any more trouble than I already may be in, if any. What is the best option in this case, should I call them and find out what is the next step? Should I file it again answering the questions in a different way? Should I wait to just certify next week or the following week since that would be the first full I am in NY? What should I expect from them? I was also thinking of just stop filing so they can completely close my case but I am not sure if that would free me from any repercussions. I'm also in the 599 program which exempted me from looking for work because I am attending school.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Unless you can demonstrate that while you were out of the country you were looking for jobs and ready, willing and able to work, or that you were fulfilling the obligations of your 599 training program, it would not be a great idea to compound your problem by applying for benefits for the time that you were overseas.
Unemployment will know that you tried to file a claim while out of the country, but if it didn't result in an overpayment it will much less likely that they will suspect you of benefits fraud.