Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I had a civil TRO ffiled against me while my ex wife

Customer Question

I had a civil TRO ffiled against me while my ex wife and I were going through a divorce in the state of Hawaii. I was recently denied for a job because of it. How can I get this removed from my record?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Criminal records can be expunged, but that does not apply to civil records. With civil records, states heavily favor public access and there's no comparable provision to remove them.
What you could do, however, would be to retain a lawyer to petition the court to seal the record of the old restraining order. A judge might be willing to do that for you after all this time, especially if the order is no longer in effect and there were no violations of the order.