CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I am a nurse and a i believe a patient is accusing me of theft

Customer Question

i am a nurse and a i believe a patient is accusing me of theft as police department has called me regarding "an incident" What are my legal rights and do i return call or have an attorney?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You have no legal obligation to return the call from the department. It is at your discretion. Moreover, you have every legal right to retain counsel and have them contact the police on your behalf. In addition, you need to keep in mind that anything you say to the police, can be used against you, in the investigation. Now, you shared that you did have some of this womens personal belongings, so she may be accusing you of the alleged theft. However, if you had a valid reason that they were in your possession, it could be a defense and explain why they were with you. If she is forgetful and elderly, she may have forgotten she gave them to you, so since they were returned, this may resolve it. If those were the items she reported, you would need and want to explain why you had them to begin with.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.