Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I got pulled over speeding, but the officer

Customer Question

I got pulled over for allegedly speeding, but the officer said it had happened five blocks away. Can he wait that long and still pull me overfor that incident, shouldn't he have to pull me over on the spot? xxxxxx
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Yes, unfortunately, the officer can pull you over 5 blocks after he caught you speeding. The fact that he didn't may be helpful if you wanted to go to trial on this case, because it may help you to establish a defense that he ticketed the wrong car, but I can think of many reasons for a police officer's inability to nab you on the spot. He might have had to chase you, for example. Or it may be that one officer was staked out in a car looking for speeders and another car was radioed to pick you up. And so on.
In any case, it's lawful. A police officer can't always make an arrest or a stop on the spot, and he isn't legally required to. It would be silly to think that if a police officer couldn't make an immediate arrest, he couldn't do anything at all to stop an offender. It's no different with traffic cases than with other types of crimes.