Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

My son got a ticket somewhere in NJ when he was seventeen

Customer Question

Hello, My son got a ticket somewhere in NJ when he was seventeen {now 25} which required a court appearance. He was driving on a permit, never had a license. We lived in FL, explored ways but were never able to resolve it.. Now, he got a ticket here {FL} for driving with a suspended license with a court appearance. The officer told him if he appears with his license it will be dismissed. we have tried to located the original municipality for the first offense with no luck. I need help .. do I get a lawyer here in FL or one somewhere in NJ.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of driver license law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
The New Jersey DMV should be able to locate the original ticket in their system - if they are telling you otherwise, then they are lying or being lazy.
Unfortunately, you may need to hire an attorney to get to the bottom of this for you in New Jersey. You will then have a fine to pay in NJ to clear his license.
Both Florida and NJ are signatories to the Driver License Compact. This means that they can access each others files, in essence, and that they will not grant a DL to an applicant if the applicant is suspended in another state.
So, in order to clear this matter and hopefully avoid a costly ticket in Florida, you are going to need to clear things in NJ. As such, I would hire someone in NJ to get to the bottom of this for you because that is ultimately where the hang-up is going to be - even if this matter went away. He will always have trouble with his license and driving until he clears the issue in NJ.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Best wishes going forward!