Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What do the marijuana laws in Colorado say about keeping MJ

Customer Question

What do the marijuana laws in Colorado say about keeping MJ in open view of minors? I have a friend who leaves large trays full of MJ and baggies full of it laying around his house, for example, on kitchen counters and coffee tables, when his children are present. What are the penalties for doing this? Thank you.

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Colorado has legalized marijuana for private personal use for those 18 years and older. To that extent, it is lawful to have marijuana or marijuana products present in the household in view of children.

However there has been a growing problem of young children who have been admitted to Colorado hospitals after having ingested marijuana products their folks left hanging around. Arguably, a parent who leaves marijuana just lying around unattended where his children can harm themselves with it, is creating a dangerous environment for the child and could subject a parent to endangerment charges and/or custody problems.

But is there a law that says your friend can't keep his marijuana in open view of minors? No.