Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Here is the deal i am on intensive probation in tucson arizona.i need to know does my po h

Customer Question

here is the deal i am on intensive probation in tucson arizona.i need to know does my po have the right to deny my request for employment at any given institution on the grounds that the owner is an ex gang member. So really what I am asking is does she have the right to be bias
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Yes, unfortunately, your probation officer has the right to deny you this employment opportunity.
It is a standard provision of every probationer's contract that they are not allowed to be involved with people who have criminal records. If your prospective employer is an ex-con, your PO can refuse to let you work for him. Criminal offenders are not a protected class under anti-discrimination laws, and your probation officer's primary responsibility is to see to it that you are not placed in situations where you might be tempted to reoffend.
As a probationer, you have almost no civil rights at this time. But the one right that remains to you is the right to a hearing. If you feel that probation is making an arbitrary and unfair decision in denying you this job, you can contact your attorney and get the case back before the judge and have a hearing on the matter.
Judges have the ability to overrule probation when they feel it's in the interest of justice for them to do so. So if the judge feels that your prospective employer has paid his dues to society and is now indeed an upstanding member of the community, he could allow you to take the job.