Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

Can some one sue thier godfather/person who sexually abused

Customer Question

Can some one sue thier godfather/person who sexually abused them as a child for years even if the abuser was convicted and the child saw a phycologist 20 years later if the child as an adult is suffering daily now? Juan xxxxxxx
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Unfortunately, the statute of limitations for California victims of sexual abuse is 8 years from the reaching the age of majority (18) or 26 years of age. So, unless the person has not reached 26, a suit would no longer be possible.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive.  Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part.   As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?