Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I Work in retail and tonight I didn't check the persons Id

Customer Question

I Work in retail and tonight I didn't check the persons Id and sold them cigarettes they turned out to be a minor who was part of the we card program my question is when I get the citation in the mail can I just plead guilty and pay my fine or will I have
to go to court? Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
This is only a summary offense. You can likely just pay a fine and not show up in court. Regardless of the fact that this is only a summary offense, it is still a criminal offense and it will show up on your criminal history if you just plead guilty and pay the fine
Pennsylvania will expunge a summary offense but you have to wait 5 years to get it off of your record. If that's important to you, and I suggest it should be, and you want it off your record sooner, then you'd have to go to court, preferably with a lawyer, and negotiate a different disposition, such as ARD (Alternative Rehabilitation Disposition) whereby you can work off your conviction by staying out of trouble during a period of supervision, performing some community service and paying fines. After a successful completion of all requirements, the case is dismissed and can be expunged from your record without waiting.