Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I vouched boyfriend's step-father and signed his bond

Customer Question

I vouched for my boyfriend's step-father and signed his bond for bail. He was never released from jail, instead he was charged with a separate crime from another county. It has been about a year and I'm getting threats from the bail bond company about hurting my credit if I do not pa $40K+. What are my rights here?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Why do they say you owe the money? What was the total bond and what did you pay to get them out? Also, has he had a court date for the initial charge you "bonded him out" on?

Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael,

They say the money is owed because he missed his court date. He missed his court date because he remained incarcerated. I believe when the bail posted, he was not released as he was charged with another case in a different county. Total bond was $43,200, which paid $15K of with the bail. I don't know the court date for the initial charge, but believe it was around July or August. He has not attended court because he is still in Jail. I'm really caught in the middle and it is truly the worst situation. My boyfriend and I both signed the bond and his grandmother put up her house. My boyfriend was killed by a drunk driver in June, so as you can imagine his mom, the defendant's wife is a wreck. I have been letting her handle the situation and she has repeatedly told me that the bail money is actually coming back to me because he was not bailed and that the bail bond collection department did not follow the right procedure in the first place. Also, that my boyfriend's step-father is going to be exonorated from the case and somehow that nulls out the bond?

I had one conversation with the bail company when they reached out to me in regards ***** ***** They sent me a preliminary investigations notice in the mail in January letting me know I have 30 days to pay or else they would sue.

What is weird is that no phone calls pas the summer have been made to the grandmother, the owner of the house. Her name does not appear on the paperwork I have (only myself and my deceased boyfriend). When someone puts their house up for collateral, do they have to sign any paperwork? Why would she not be getting the same harassment? My boyfriend's mom keeps telling me that it's because I took their call and now they know they can get to me… is that how bail bonds places work?

My boyfriend's mom retained a lawyer for the reasons above and I have not heard from them until this past Friday, when they ran my credit. I'm not too sure what is going on at this point or if she even retained a lawyer, so I am very worried and need to know what my next steps are. She insists she is handling it. I have reached out to the criminal attorney assigned to his case, but have not heard anything back yet.

I need to know what my options are, thanks for your help!

I'm a little confused. Usually, bail bondsmen ask that you put something like 10% cash up for the bail or do something called a property bond, where a home is put up for the entire amount. At that point, the bondsman is guaranteeing the court that the defendant will show up, and if they don't, the bondsman is on the hook. At that point, the bondsman can come after the guarantors. In your case, you put up 15k AND a house, which seems like quite a bit. What were the terms? Yes, if your grandmother put up her house, she would be a guarantor on the paperwork as well. Also, he didn't "not show up", he was in jail, and should have been transferred to court by the jail. That's not your fault that it didn't happen. What did the notice from the bonding company say? That you needed to pay the whole amount? Have you spoken with the court that he "missed" to explain what happened? Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael,

I tried to attach the pdf, but for some reason it only attached the first page of what I signed last April, so I pasted in the text. Not the cleanest, sorry but am hoping you have what you need to look into this further.

The bonding notice I received in January said I had $30 days to pay the $28K balance, with a $20K settlement. It said that if I did not pay this, I would be sued. Then it included the form I signed below.

I have not spoken to the court, as I have been told by my boyfriend's mom that she is taking care of this. Would speaking to the court help? Does it matter that the defendant is in a jail in a different county for a separate charge?

I'm not sure what to do, it's a horrible situation. Thanks!

---

Form #CH-02 (10-08) Page 1

4/14/14

TBD

540,000

(###) ###-####/p>

Ventura

Byron xxxxxx

182(a)(1),211,211,211,(###) ###-####pc

04-18-2013###-##-####/p>

DocuSign Envelope ID: 764509BD-B812-46BE-8DFB-7F64D22E732F

FAMILY INFORMATION CONT.

Spouse’s Mother Address City Phone

Spouse’s Father Address City Phone

Def. Brother Address City Phone

Def. Sister Address City Phone

Best Friend Address City Phone

Def. Attorney City Phone

INDEMNITOR INFORMATION

Bank Account# *****

DL or ID# *****

Ind. Name

SSN Relation to Def.

Employer Address Phone

Address City Phone

Occupation How Long Supervisor Monthly Income

Type

Spouse Address City Phone

Employer Address Phone

Vehicle - Make Model Year Color License#

Registered Owner Legal Owner Liens

Real Property In Who’s Name How Long

Lot Block Tract Maps in Book Page

Value Equity Financed By A.P. No.

Credit Ref. & Accts. #’s

DATE SIGNATURE OF INDEMNITOR

I certify that the above is true and correct. I further understand this is an application for a type of credit, and authorize review of my credit history via credit reporting agency checks.

Full Name of Person Supplying Information Name of Person Negotiating Bail Name of Person Receving Information

Address Address Date and Time of Information Received

Connection or Relationship to Defendant Connection or Relationship to Defendant Manner in which Information Received

If Same was Defendant, How Did Communicate Name of Licensee who Negotiated Transaction Name of Other Agent Involved and Commission Paid

If Writ,

Name of Attorney Name and Sum Paid Unlicensed Persons and Services Performed

Was consideration other than money received? Yes No If yes, explain in detail and attach statement.

Form #CH-02 (10-08) Page 2

STATEMENTOF INFORMATIONREQUIREDBYSECTION2100,CALIFORNIAREGULATORYCODE,ANDWHICHMAYBEREQUIREDINOTHERSTATE

Monica xxxxx xxx x. xxxxxxxxxxx xxx.xxxx x xxxxx xxx-xxx-xxx

11-27-86

Monica xxxxx

xx x. xxxxxxxxxx xxx ssss

Johnny xxxxxx

CRM Manager 11 months

4/14/2014

Family Friend

The undersigned, called “First Party,” make application to _________________________________________________________called “Second Party,” for execution by

CONTINENTAL HERITAGE INSURANCE COMPANY, a corporation called “Surety” of a Bail Undertaking herein referred to as “Bail

Bond” in the penal amount of $ _________________________________________ for __________________________________________________ called “Principal,” and

in consideration of the Second Party arranging for execution of continuance of this Bail Bond, First Party does jointly and severally agree as follows:

FIRST: To pay Second Party $___________________________________________________________ per annum for this Bail Bond. The premium is fully earned upon the

release of Principal. The fact that Defendant may have been improperly arrested, or his bail reduced or his case dismissed, shall not obligate the return of any portion of said

premium. This Bond is renewable each year. First Party agrees to pay to Second Party a renewal premium in the amount stated above, twelve months after the date on which

this Bond was executed. If said renewal premium is not paid upon written demand therefore, Second Party or Surety has the right to surrender Principal, as provided in the

California Penal Code, Section 1300, and exonerate the Bond. SECOND: To reimburse Second Party and Surety for actual expenses incurred by Second Party or Surety in

connection with the arranging and/or execution of Bail Bond or any renewal or substitution thereof whether or not said Principal refuses to be released after arrangements

have been initiated by Second Party, in accordance with regulations of the Insurance Commissioner in effect at the time such expenses are incurred.

THIRD: To reimburse Second Party and Surety for actual expenses incurred and caused by a breach by the Principal of any of the terms for which the application and Bail

Bond were written not in excess of the penal amount of the Bail Bond including all expenses or liabilities incurred as a result of searching for, recapturing or returning Principal

to custody, incurred by Second Party or Surety or as necessary in apprehending or endeavoring to apprehend Principal, including legal fees incurred by Second Party or

Surety in making application to a court for an order to vacate or to set aside the order of forfeiture or Summary Judgment entered thereon. However, no expenses or liabilities

incurred for recapturing or returning Principal to custody shall be

chargeable after the entry of Summary Judgment.

FOURTH: To pay the Second Party or Surety, in the event that it is necessary for them to institute suit for a breach of this agreement, a reasonable attorney’s fee which shall,

in no event, be less than the sum of twenty-five dollars ($25.00).

FIFTH: To pay Second Party or Surety as collateral upon demand, the penal amount of Bail Bond whenever Second Party or Surety, as a result of information concealed or

misrepresented by the First Party of Principal or other reasonable cause, any one of which was material to hazard assumed, deems payment necessary to protect the Second

Party or Surety hereunder. Where, as a result of judicial action, bail has been increased, and no collateral or insufficient collateral, in the sole discretion of Second Party or

Surety, is furnished to indemnify against such increase in the bail, Second Party or Surety may demand such collateral as will indemnify them against such increased bail.

SIXTH: To pay Second Party or Surety immediately upon demand after entry of Summary Judgment, pursuant to California Penal Code, Section 1306. SEVENTH: To aid Second

Party or Surety in securing release or exoneration of Second Party or Surety from all liability under Bail Bond, including the surrender of Principal to Court should Second

Party or Surety deem such action advisable.

EIGHTH: That all money or other property which the First Party has deposited or may deposit with the Second Party or the Surety may be applied as collateral security or indemnity

for matters contained herein, and to accomplish the purposes contained herein, the Second Party and/or Surety is authorized to lawfully levy upon said collateral in

the manner provided by law to apply the proceeds there from and any and all money deposited to payment or reimbursement for the hereinabove liabilities, losses, costs,

damages and expenses. If collateral received by Second Party is in excess of the bail forfeited, such excess shall be returned to the depositor immediately upon the application

of the collateral to the forfeiture, subject to any claim of Second Party and Surety for unpaid Premium or the hereinabove charges..

NINTH: Second Party or Surety shall not surrender Principal to custody prior to the time specified in the Bail Bond for the appearance of the Principal, or prior to any occasion

when the presence of the Principal in Court is lawfully required without returning all premium paid thereof, unless as a result of judicial action, information concealed or misrepresented

by the Principal, or other reasonable cause, any one of which was material to the hazard assumed the hazard was substantially increased and the additional premium,

if any, for such increased hazard was not paid within a reasonable time.

TENTH: The obligations hereunder are joint and several and any amounts due shall bear interest at the maximum rate of interest allowed by law. The Second Party and the

Surety shall not be first obliged to proceed against the Principal on Bail Bond before having recourse against the First Party or to proceed or enforce its remedies against the

Principal before making demand upon or proceeding and/or enforcing its remedies against any one or more of the First Party.

ELEVENTH: In making application for Bail Bond, each of us warrants all statements made by him or her on this application to be true, and we agree to advise Second Party or

Surety of any change, including but not limited to change of address or employment of either the Principal or of any of the First Party, or any other material change in circumstances,

within forty-eight (48) hours after knowledge such change shall have occurred, and the First Party agrees that any failure to so notify shall be reasonable cause for

the immediate surrender of the Principal.

TWELFTH: The undersigned agree that these obligations apply to all other Bail Bonds executed for the same charge for which the above mentioned Bail Bond was executed,

or any charge arising out of the same transaction, regardless of whether said Bail Bonds are filed before or after conviction, but not in a greater amount.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the First Party whose names are ***** ***** the Bail Agreement executed here within each represents: I have read the Bail Agreement and I

know the contents thereof; that I hereby acknowledge receipt of a copy of said Bail Agreement; that I am the true and lawful owner of the property, whether real or personal,

which if set forth in the Application for Bail (which Application is made a part hereof by reference as though herein fully set forth) is my property and that I own such property

free and clear of all liens or encumbrances except as so noted, and I further promise not to transfer or encumber any of said property until my liability on said Bail Agreement

has been released. I understand the Second Party and/or Surety is permitting the said bail to remain in force upon reliance of the statements made by me and I do hereby

this_________________ day of_______________________________________, _______________________ set my hand.

INDEMNITY AGREEMENT FOR SURETY BAIL BOND

CONTINENTAL HERITAGE INSURANCE COMPANY

Defendant

SIGNATURE HOME PHONE WORK PHONE

NAME Address City Zip

EMPLOYER Address City Zip

DMV I.D. SSN D.O.B.

Indemnitor

SIGNATURE HOME PHONE WORK PHONE

NAME Address City Zip

EMPLOYER Address City Zip

DMV I.D. SSN D.O.B.

Indemnitor

SIGNATURE HOME PHONE WORK PHONE

NAME Address City Zip

EMPLOYER Address City Zip

DMV I.D. SSN D.O.B.

Form #CH-02 (10-08) Page 3

Acme Bail Bonds, 2674 E Main St, PMB C-209, Ventura CA 93003 •(###) ###-####• Insurance Bail License #(###) ###-####/p>

Acme Bail Bonds

540,000 Byron xxxxxx

43,200

14 April 2014

Byron xxxxx

Monica xxxx xxxx x. xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Bond Date

Bond No. (s)

Amt.(s) $

Booking #

Where Held

APPLICATION AND AGREEMENT FOR SURETY BAIL BOND

Acme Bail Bonds

2xxxx x xxxxx xx , xxxx x xxx

xxxx xx xxx

xxx-xxx-xxxx Fax xxx-xxx-xxxx

Insurance Bail License #(###) ###-####/p>

Name A.K.A.

Home Phone Mobile Work

D.O.B. SSN DL or ID# *****

Sex Race Height Weight Hair Eyes Glasses Facial Hair

I.D. Marks

Place of Birth City State US Citizen / Resident Alien / None

Current Address City State How Long?

Previous Address City State How Long?

Years in City County State Name ofLast City Last State

Employer Address Mo. Income

Occupation Dept. Supervisor How Long

Previous Employer Address When

Charges Case # ***** to Appear Time

Court Jud. Dist. Div. or Dept. County

DEFENDANT INFORMATION

FAMILY INFORMATION

Employer Address Mo. Income

Occupation Dept. Supervisor How Long

Previous Employer Address When

Spouse Add. Phone How Long

Married? When Where Maiden Name D.O.B.

On Probation? Where Probation Officer

Military Branch Serial Discharge Date Union Local#

Credit Ref. & Accts. #’s

Where Arrested Co-Defendants

Previous Spouse Address City Phone

Children Name & Age School

Mother Address City Phone

Father Address City Phone

Form #CH-02 (10-08) Page 1

4/14/2014

TBD

540,000

(###) ###-####/p>

Ventura

Byron Alexander

182(a)(1),211,211,211,(###) ###-####/p>

06/13/1976###-##-####/p>

FAMILY INFORMATION CONT.

Spouse’s Mother Address City Phone

Spouse’s Father Address City Phone

Def. Brother Address City Phone

Def. Sister Address City Phone

Best Friend Address City Phone

Def. Attorney City Phone

INDEMNITOR INFORMATION

Bank Account# *****

DL or ID# *****

Ind. Name

SSN Relation to Def.

Employer Address Phone

Address City Phone

Type

Spouse Address City Phone

Employer Address Phone

Registered Owner Legal Owner Liens

Real Property In Who’s Name How Long

Lot Block Tract Maps in Book Page

Value Equity Financed By A.P. No.

Credit Ref. & Accts. #’s

DATE SIGNATURE OF INDEMNITOR

If Writ,

Form #CH-02 (10-08) Page 2

Robert xxxx xxxxxx xxx. xxx

xxxx-xxxx

Robert xxxxxx

Johnny xxxxx

Dongyu USI

Son in law

3 years

CONTINENTAL HERITAGE INSURANCE COMPANY

Defendant

SIGNATURE HOME PHONE WORK PHONE

NAME Address City Zip

EMPLOYER Address City Zip

DMV I.D. SSN D.O.B.

Indemnitor

SIGNATURE HOME PHONE WORK PHONE

NAME Address City Zip

EMPLOYER Address City Zip

DMV I.D. SSN D.O.B.

Indemnitor

SIGNATURE HOME PHONE WORK PHONE

NAME Address City Zip

EMPLOYER Address City Zip

DMV I.D. SSN D.O.B.

Form #CH-02 (10-08) Page 3

Acme Bail Bonds,xxx x xxx xx, xxxx x-xxx, xxxxxx xx xxxx xx xxx -2245 • Insurance Bail License #(###) ###-####/p>

Acme Bail Bonds

540,000 Byron xxxxxx

43,200

14 April 2014

Byron xxxx

Rogert xxxxxxxxr xxxxx xxxxxx xxx.

UNPAID PREMIUM AGREEMENT

Defendant Name:

The undersigned promises to pay the Balance Due of $

I (we) have obtained a bail bond for the release of the above defendant and I (we) promise to pay the Balance

Due as prescribed above. I (we) understand that if my payments are not received at the address stated

below within five days of the scheduled due date. I (we) will be charged a ten percent (10%) late charge

based on the scheduled payment amount. Should my account become over 30 days past due, a demand

for full payment may be made at that lime. Any and all Legal/collection fees associated to my account will

be my responsibility.

Date:

Bail Amount: Bond #:

Jail:

Total Amount Sale:

Less Amount Paid Down:

BALANCE DUE:

$$$

in installments of $ each,

with the first installments due as follows:

I have deposited as security against this premium balance:

All payments should be mailed to: ***** ***** BONDS, 2674 E. Main St. # ***** Ventura CA 93003

I HAVE READ AND AGREE WITH THE ABOVE DECLARATIONS

Signature: Signature:

Print:

Date:

Signature: Signature:

Print:

Date:

Print:

Date:

Print:

Date:

Witness/Bail Agent: Print: Date:

Form# ***** CA-11 (10-04)-ACME BAIL BONDS, 2674 E. Main St. #D-209, Ventura CA 93003 -(###) ###-####- CA. Bail Insurance # *****

4-14-14

19

15,000

5-1-14 $1500 due. $1500 Due on 1st on each month for 18 months Ventura

Signature

540,000

Johnny xxxxx

Monica xxxxx

Byron xxxxxx

4/14/2014

28,200

28,200

1500

43,200

Robert xxxxx

TBD

4/14/2014 4/14/2014