Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I'm have been a registered sex offender in Missouri

Customer Question

i'm have been a registered sex offender in Missouri for over 20 years for devite sexual assult which is not even what happened just tired of having to register every 3 months and some other stuff....
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was 23 I performed oral sex on her but it was never a question of force...after 20 years I can't do this anymore...I just want to live in peace and not fear all the time...I know what I did was wrong without a doubt...we were supposedly "dating" at the time....she was 14 and what happened was inappropreite and unexcuseable...I did a year down on a three year messed up my 120 shock...that's on me...I just want to be treated normal and as a person...not what someone sees or reads on the registry...
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under MO statute 589.400.1 you may petition to the court to have them order removal from the sex offender registry if you meet the following guidelines:
7. Any person currently on the sexual offender registry for having been convicted of, found guilty of, or having pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to committing, attempting to commit, or conspiring to commit promoting prostitution in the second degree, promoting prostitution in the third degree, public display of explicit sexual material, statutory rape in the second degree, and no physical force or threat of physical force was used in the commission of the crime may file a petition in the civil division of the circuit court in the county in which the offender was convicted or found guilty of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to committing, attempting to commit, or conspiring to commit the offense or offenses for the removal of his or her name from the sexual offender registry after ten years have passed from the date he or she was required to register.
"8. Effective August 28, 2009, any person on the sexual offender registry for having been convicted of, found guilty of, or having pled guilty or nolo contendere to an offense included under subsection 1 of this section may file a petition after two years have passed from the date the offender was convicted or found guilty of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to the offense or offenses in the civil division of the circuit court in the county in which the offender was convicted or found guilty of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to the offense or offenses for removal of his or her name from the registry if such person was nineteen years of age or younger and the victim was thirteen years of age or older at the time of the offense and no physical force or threat of physical force was used in the commission of the offense, unless such person meets the qualifications of this subsection, and such person was eighteen years of age or younger at the time of the offense, and is convicted or found guilty of or pleads guilty or nolo contendere to a violation of section 566.068, 566.090*, 566.093, or 566.095 when such offense is a misdemeanor, in which case, such person may immediately file a petition to remove or exempt his or her name from the registry upon his or her conviction or finding or pleading of guilty or nolo contendere to such offense.
9. (1) The court may grant such relief under subsection 7 or 8 of this section if such person demonstrates to the court that he or she has complied with the provisions of this section and is not a current or potential threat to public safety. The prosecuting attorney in the circuit court in which the petition is filed must be given notice, by the person seeking removal or exemption from the registry, of the petition to present evidence in opposition to the requested relief or may otherwise demonstrate the reasons why the petition should be denied. Failure of the person seeking removal or exemption from the registry to notify the prosecuting attorney of the petition shall result in an automatic denial of such person's petition. If the prosecuting attorney is notified of the petition he or she shall make reasonable efforts to notify the victim of the crime for which the person was required to register of the petition and the dates and times of any hearings or other proceedings in connection with that petition."
You can read the whole law at: http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/58900004001.html
If you do not qualify under the above statute, your other recourse is you have to file a petition for a pardon through the governor's board of pardon and parole and if the pardon is granted, your registration requirement would then be removed.