Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My daughter's boyfriend was arrested at a concert last night

Customer Question

My daughter's boyfriend was arrested at a concert last night in Indianapolis. He's at processing. Charges are public intoxication & resisting law enforcement. He's 23 with no record. My daughter is there at a hotel waiting. How much bond will it take to get him out? How long does it usually take? I'm a worried mom. Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much trouble is he in? My daughter also had a flask that she threw in the trash when she went to the area at the concert where they were holding him. She was told she would be getting a letter & have to go to court for that.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. Thanks for requesting me.
Bail should be very low, under $1,000, probably in the area of $500. In fact, if he's local, he'd likely be released on his own recognizance at arraignment because he has no criminal history. If he's from out of town and has no ties to the community, then in general, minimal bail would likely be set to ensure that your son does not just blow off his court date.
These charges are misdmeanor charges, but his failure to appear on his court date could lead to a warrant for his arrest and a future suspension of his driver's license. So if you bail him out make sure he either comes back to court or has a local lawyer standing on his case for him.
Your son could probably just pay a fine and be done with this whole, thing, but that would give him a criminal record, which at 23, is not advisable for him. For that reason, it would be a good idea to hire him a lawyer who could negotiate either a reduction in charges or a special disposition that will keep this conviction off of his record.