Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a grand larceny charge n i got a petty theft charge

Customer Question

i have a grand larceny charge n i got a petty theft charge while awaiting trial what do i do
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced New York criminal lawyer. You can do a coupld of things, as your attorney will no doubt tell you: you can get a package deal with both cases; you can plead not guilty on the petty larceny and move the case towards trial, which will delay any conviction until after you have resolved the felony matter; you can plead out the petit larceny and just get it behind you if you can get a non-incarceratory disposition; or you can eventually go to trial on the petit larceny as well. If you choose to plead the misdemeanor out now and you plan on taking the stand on your behalf, then the conviction could be used against you in your grand larceny trial to allow the DA to show the jury that you are the type of person who is likely to commit a theft offense. You should discuss your options with your lawyer, but he'd probably want to keep the new case open and wait until the close of your grand larceny case to resolve it. If you end up convicted of a felony, felony time would absorb any misdemeanor time anyway, so you wouldn't have to do any additional time on the misdemeanor, even if you took a ple that gave you time. If you end up acquitted of the grand larceny, you could probably dispose of the petit larceny with a fine, community service, or probation or go to trial on that case too.