Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm looking to set up an ecommerce business around a private-labeled

Customer Question

hi,
I'm looking to set up an ecommerce business around a private-labeled marijuana edible. And wanted to know if it was legal to ship the product to states that allow medical and recreational cannabis use?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. Thanks for requesting me. Medical marijuana may be legal on a state level in some US states, but marijuana is still a Schedule I controlled substance as far as the Federal Government is concerned. Sending it through the mail would subject you to Federal drug trafficking charges, because the US Postal service is a Federal agency. Sending it via Fed Ex or United Parcel would be safer, but if they suspect or know of what is in your box, it is not legal for them to ship it either. And it would still be a Federal offense to ship marijuana products across state lines because the Federal government regulates interstate commerce. There are plenty of articles on the web telling how you may be able to get away with shipping small amounts of marijuana products, but you're going to have to find those for yourself, because shipping them is breaking the law, and I would be violating my ethical obligations as an attorney by telling you how to do it.