Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was caught taking 260.00 worth of jewelry an 94.00 worth

I was caught taking 260.00 worth of jewelry an 94.00 worth of price changing at a kohls in el Paso tx I coporated fully they kept there for 2 hours the manager said by 500 he would let me go and file charges on line and a detective would call me or go and arrest me could this happen or was he just trying to scare me.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

The manager is probably not trying to scare you. If he has your information and turns it over to the police, you will either get a summons in the mail or the police can come and arrest you. While in many instances people get arrested at the time of the incident, that's not the way it has to go. The store has until the statute of limitations runs out on the offense to have you charged before the matter would be considered too old to be prosecuted. In Texas, that would be 2 years from the incident.

If you don't have a criminal record, chances are the police are not going to come for you, but you'll get something in the mail. And, of course, it's possible that the store was trying to scare you, but it's not as likely. So no news is good news, and the longer the time goes on, the less likely it is that you'll be arrested, but you do have to take what the store said seriously. It may be a good time to look for a criminal lawyer. YOu don't have to hire one yet, but you do want to have a phone number ready just in case.