Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

For Paul JD, Is it normal that the court allows the state to

For Paul JD, Is it normal that the court allows the state to add witnesses and evidence the day before trial when the court had just denied the defendant of adding any evidence one day after the deadline to have the evidence entered into court?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

No it is not normal for the court to allow witnesses passed the deadline unless they allow all parties to add witnesses. You have the right to object to the witnesses because of the deadline and it would be ground for appeal if they deny you and allow the state.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there anything in the iowa code about this?

Thank you.

The only rule is Iowa Rule of Criminal Procedure 2.11(11) Notices of defendant.
a. Alibi.
A defendant who intends to offer evidence of an alibi defense shall, within the time provided for the making of pretrial motions or at such later time as the court shall direct, file written notice of such intention. The notice shall state the specific place or places at which the defendant claims to have been at the time of the alleged offense and the names and addresses of the witnesses upon whom the defendant intends to rely to establish such alibi. In the event that a defendant shall file such notice the prosecuting attorney shall file written notice of the names and addresses of the witnesses the state proposes to offer in rebuttal to discredit the defendant’s alibi. Such notice shall be filed within ten days after filing of defendant’s witness list, or within such other time as the court may direct.