Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I am interested in purchasing a handgun and I already possess

I am interested in purchasing a handgun and I already possess a valid CT pistol permit. However about thirty years ago I had a non-violent felony conviction for which I was later provided a certificate of relief of disabilities. Am I permitted to buy a handgun? If so what is the process?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

What state granted you the Certificate of Relief?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

New York State provided the CRD.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX thought it likely but didn't want to answer before double-checking.

I am a NYS lawyer.

A Certificate of Disabilities does not expunge your record. It also does not allow you to deny that you've ever been convicted of a criminal offense. What it is designed to do is to grant you your civil rights back so that your former offense cannot be held against you when you are applying for a license or a job in New York State.

NYS has agreed that someone who has a certificate of relief is exempt from prosecution for being a felon in possession of a firearm. The Certificate would make him eligible to apply for and obtain a license in NYS.

However, for purposes of owning a handgun, the Federal Government generally requires that all of one's civil rights be restored. The Certificate of relief restores all rights EXCEPT the right to run for a government office. It's NYS's Certificate of Good Conduct that will get you back all of your rights. So you may not be able to clear the NICs check.

In any case, in answer to your original question, you must disclose your felony on the application.