Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have 10 counts of paraphernalia possession of hashish possession

I have 10 counts of paraphernalia
possession of hashish
possession of marijuana and possession of cocaine
this is my first offense however what would my charges look like
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

What's the approximate weight of the drugs involved here? Is the state alleging that you had the intention of selling the contraband?

Use the reply tab below to respond.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no the amount of drugs were minimal all weighing underneath a gram

no intention to sell

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

So a straight possession case and all in personal use amounts. That's fortunate and means you should not have to worry about jail.

The paraphernalia and the marijuana in minimal amounts are misdemeanors in Florida. They would carry a maximum penalty of a year in jail. Possession of cocaine is a felony of the third degree. That's the lowest level felony in Florida, but it does carry a penalty of up to 5 years.

In my experience, however, on a first arrest of this nature you are looking at nothing worse than felony probation for charges like this. Depending upon the facts and circumstances, you may even be able to get the cocaine charge reduced so that your convictions would be for misdemeanors. Also, if you have a substance abuse problem, you'd likely be an eligible candidate for Drug Treatment Court, which would allow you to get help with your issues and come out of this case with no criminal record.

So you don't appear to be in bad shape going into this, at least based on what you've told me. Of course, this may also be a case you'd want to fight, if the facts and circumstances are favorable. Either way, you'll need a lawyer.

If you can afford one, you should have him with you on your court date. If you cannot, you can plead not guilty at your arraignment, which will keep all of your rights open, and then ask the court for a public defender.

Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.