CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My friend called me four months ago and asked me look up his

My friend called me four months ago and asked me look up his court date for a DUI and reckless driving charges. I did so. My friend called back today and asked me to look up his court date because he had forgotten it. I looked it up on NC Courts website and much to my surprise I saw that 2 officers were listed and the charges on both were DUI and reckless driving. Both lines listed the same court date and the EXACT same Citation number. Does this mean that TWO officers issued citations for DUI and Reckless Driving for the same incidence or were there two SEPERATE incidences of suspected DUI and Reckless Driving?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If there were two separate charges, it was a result of them stemming from the same event. As such, there was a basis to charge your friend with both DUI and reckless driving. The reason that the two officers were listed, is because they were both involved with either the stop or the DUI investigation and they will be called as witnesses for the State, if the case goes to trial. The only odd thing is that the same citation number appeared for both charges, since the citations would have needed to be issued separately, since they were for two different offenses. This is something which could be a clerical error and amended, if needed. In addition, if there are two charges for the same thing, the State is likely going to drop/dismiss on one of them and proceed on the other, depending on the facts of the case.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.