Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
14472836

Under what circumstance can the Lakewood police remove guns

Under what circumstance can the Lakewood police remove guns from my house ?.
I'm a veteran and on the 23 Oct, 2013 my wife and I was having and arguement and the
police was called by my son. We had know physical contact but I was taken to St. Clear
for a two hour ovservation because of my military PTSD from Vietnam. There was no guns
involved in the argument but while at the hospital all my guns and whitch half was my wifes
were taken.
Willie D. Harris
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

There are 2 applicable reasons that might impact your ability to own a gun.

1) A mandatory consequence resulting from a Domestic Violence conviction in Washington state is the loss of your right to possess a firearm. The prohibition against possession of firearms has no expiration date and is permanent a Court reinstates you right to ownership. since you have not been convicted this prob ably does not apply yet.

2) In Washington no person may own, possess, or have in his or her control any firearm, if that person has been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment, and their right to own a firearm has not been restored.

I am guessing that based on the second reason you access to guns has been taken away. You will need to ask a Judge to restore you rights to own a firearm.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The doctor diagnosis was " Depression " not that I wasn't in my right state of mind. So a person that is depressed can't own a gun ?.

The issue is not whether you are depressed the issue is that you were sent to a hospital for observation, diagnosis and treatment. When you guns were taken the police did not know the diagnosis. You now have to petition the Court indicating what you diagnosis is, the treatment, and ask the judge for your right to own a gun.

Depressed people commit suicide,and shoot others. You need to convince the Court your condition is not serious enough to warrant prohibition ownership of a gun. Many States are enacting laws to protect the public after school shootings in multiple states, and the shooting of a Congresswoman in Arizona by an individual on medication for depression.