ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

my daughter was arrested for shoplifting she is 20 and pleaded

my daughter was arrested for shoplifting she is 20 and pleaded not guilty our court date is Thursday do I need to bring a lawyer with us. she just told me about this
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 8 months ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Assuming that your daughter does not have a criminal record, i would absolutely suggest getting a lawyer. The reason is that to go from a clean record to a "blemished" one is a very big step. It impacts job applications, loan applications, apartment applications, etc... It's something that will follow her the rest of her life and have a big impact on it. Putting any amount of money into it now before a conviction would be worth it.

ScottyMacEsq :

Now if she already has a record, then an additional blemish on an already blemished record is not going to be that big of a deal, and an attorney is not as useful in such a situation.

ScottyMacEsq :

But getting an attorney for a first offense situation to try to work out a deal for "deferred prosecution" or "deferred adjudication", etc... even if not successful, would be a risk worth taking.

ScottyMacEsq :

I would suggest finding a criminal attorney that has a physical office located within walking distance of the courthouse. That means that it's a lawyer that does this all the time, probably knows the judge and prosecutors, etc... and would be better able to work out a deal.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

thank you for your help and I will take your advice

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney