Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

i have two charges from an arrest on 1/14/2005. One was dismissed

i have two charges from an arrest on 1/14/2005. One was dismissed and the other not guilty. I tried to find employment and I was told I needed the charges removed. I can I get them removed?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

You would need to get the matters expunged or sealed to get arrrests off of your record. Here is an overview of the expungement laws of New Jersey. (See link)

It appears that your offenses would be eligible for an expungement, as neither offense resulted in a conviction. You would have to petition the Superior Court to get your cases expunged. While lawyers aren't necessary, strictly speaking, to apply for an expungment, when a petition must be drafted properly and argued before a judge it is preferable that you have one, especially as here, where you are seeking to ensure future employment prospects.

There are lawyers who specialize in expungments, pardons and the restoration of gun rights. If you wanted to find one, you could contact the New Jersey Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service. They charge a referral fee of around $50 which includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney.

Good luck!