Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases
11688690

I have two charges that show up on record but the charges were

I have two charges that show up on record but the charges were dropped and not guilty. How can I get them off my record so employers won't interpret it as an arrest?
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be the attorney assisting you.

What are the charges that you want expunged?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Simple Assualt and Harassment

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Harassment and simple assualt

OK.

New Jersey Expungement Statutes
2C:52-6. Arrests not resulting in conviction

a. In all cases, except as herein provided, wherein a person has been arrested or held to answer for a crime, disorderly persons offense, petty disorderly persons offense or municipal ordinance violation under the laws of this State or of any governmental entity thereof and against whom proceedings were dismissed, or who was acquitted, or who was discharged without a conviction or finding of guilt, may at any time following the disposition of proceedings, present a duly verified petition as provided in section 2C:52-7 to the Superior Court in the county in which the disposition occurred praying that records of such arrest and all records and information pertaining thereto be expunged.

So, there is a waiting period of 5 years for disorderly persons convictions such as possession for marijuana, simple assault and harassment which you are beyond.

Up to 3 disorderly persons convictions can be expunged. However, you must not have ever been convicted of a prior or subsequent crime.

Here is a link with step-by-step procedures with forms on how to expunge the criminal charges:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10557_expunge_kit.pdf

You may need to go down to the criminal court and ask the clerk to assist you with gathering some of the information - unless you have complete records of everything (ie. the citation numbers, the exact dates, etc.).

Once expunged no one will be able to find a record of such.

However, it takes about 6 months after the order for expungement for the computer systems to be wiped clean of the charges - it doesn't happen immediately.

Kindly do not forget to positively rate my answers so I can be compensated for assisting you.

Thank you!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).