Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Hello, I was at a friends house, where my kids and I were

I was at a friends house, where my kids and I were invited to do a camp-out in the backyard, both me and my friend were drinking, and later after the boys were asleep...my friend was acting awkward, going into the two separate small tents, trying to wake up the kids in one, and the other, where the to youngest boys, one his, and one mine, he acted like he was going to sleep there, I did not think it was appropriate, and told him no, your not sleeping there, and told him I was leaving, I tried to wake my boys up quickly to go, but they were in a deep sleep, it was around 230am at this time, my friend was insulted and decided to curse in my face, and at one point he was brandishing, what I believe was a weapon, his wife was out at this time and told him why he had that and to drop it. Well, a scuffle arose as I felt threatened for my life, and I held him down on the ground, he eventually had me over and took some swings at me, I then had him over and told his wife to call the police, which she did not do right away, then she had my wife on the phone, and she put the phone close to me, I told my wife to call the police, my wife told her to call the police...the cops arrived and said to get off him. At no time did I swing a punch at him...the whole time I was trying to diffuse it, and told him to stop...he would not. The police said both stories are conflicting, and that we both charged for disorderly conduct, I have some slight scratches and bruises on my face. What should I do to protect my rights? Thank you, Andy

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Were you arrested as a result of this incident?

Customer:

thanks...me too.

Alex J. Esq. :

Customer:

No arrest

Alex J. Esq. :

Were you cited?

Customer:

nothing given...just verbally told we would be cited for disorderly conduct

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, it is likely that police officer will forward the incident report to the DA for review and potential disorderly conduct charges.

Alex J. Esq. :

Disorderly conduct, also known as disturbing the peace, as codified by Arizona law, is a Class 1 misdemeanor, and upon conviction the penalty can be up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine up to $2,500---though for a first offense you will typically receive a fine and no jail time. You may also qualify for a deferred sentence in which after serving a probationary period and paying a fine, the charges are dismissed.

Alex J. Esq. :

If you are in fact charged with the disorderly conduct, it would be a very good idea to consult and retain local criminal defense attorney to help you resolve the criminal charge.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

I felt I was protecting myself, what should I do to dispute this? Should my face be examined by a doctor?

Alex J. Esq. :

It would be a good idea to document all the injuries by taking photos and visiting the doctor and also it would be up to your local criminal defense attorney to contest any criminal charges and to claim self-defense.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes this does

Alex J. Esq. :

If it is determined by the judge or jury that you did act in self-defense, you might be able to beat the disorderly conduct charge, if you are in fact charged.

Alex J. Esq. :

Customer:

No more questions, thank you.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer:

will do...