Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Im interested in having my gun rights restored in Pa. I was

Im interested in having my gun rights restored in Pa. I was convicted of cocaine possession which was a felony in the county ( Chesterfield Va. ) I was arrested in even tho it was a very small amount. The offense was approx 15yrs ago. Ive read I need to have my civil rights restored first do I need to petition the state I was convicted in or the state I reside in ?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Unfortunately, while your right to vote is restored automatically in Pennsylvania, the only way you can get the rest of your civil rights back would be if the governor of PA grants you a full pardon.

A pardon is rare, but you don't need a lawyer to apply so it's worth a try. The form is not on line. YOu must send to Harrisburg for it. You can find out more about obtaining one here.