Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

How may I find out if I am being investigated by the FBI or

How may I find out if I am being investigated by the FBI or CIA or members of JTTF?

About ten years ago, I joined a grouping of political organizers that were engaging in what I later learned to be legally questionable activities. It was an act of political dissent that may have inspired Federal law enforcement to investigate me. While I am not completely certain that an investigation is ongoing, I would like to know, one way or the other so I may prepare myself legally. Earlier this summer, I approached a local FBI office explaining that I had disassociated from being involved with this political group. I now understand that may have been a mistake. How might I go about determining if I am being investigated by the FBI, CIA or JTTF members?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

The statute of limitations for most Federal offenses is five years. So if your involvement with this political group ended more than 5 years ago, you are not the current target of any Federal investigation.

While you can order your criminal history from the state and even your 50 state and Federal history from the FBI, they do not show investigations on these documents. Law enforcement investigations are not a matter of public record, and there's no way to look the data up somewhere. It's not discoverable and for that matter may not even exist.

There's a saying that you don't stir up a pot that isn't boiling. You provide no concrete reason at all for believing you're the subject of an investigation except for membership in a political organization. Unless people you know from that organization have been questioned and/or arrested with regard to their activities, you should stop worrying about this. To go to the Feds and ask about whether you're a target or not is to flag that you may have been involved with something inappropriate. That would be very unwise.

YOu have a right against self-incrimination. The police and FBI are the last people on earth you ought to contact when you're nervous about how your activities might be scrutinized and interpreted. Don't reach out to them and if they reach out to you, don't discuss your membership or your activiites with this group. Just tell them that you want to confer with your lawyer before talking to them, and you'll get back to them. Then find counsel.