Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

MY father was sentenced to 12 years in prison back in 2009.

MY father was sentenced to 12 years in prison back in 2009. I was just going through some papers and noticed that on these papers it mentioned the following:

"The petitioner was convicted by jury trial and sentenced on October 20th 2009 to 12 years determinate term of imprisonment with a 5 year adjoinment of post release supervision.

I was hoping to clarify what does that mean. I pray it's something good. By the way this took place in Westchester County NY. Please help!
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

That just means that after the twelve year sentence has been completed, he will essentially be on probation for five years after release. Assuming this is a federal sentence (which is what it sounds like), once he does 85% of it (10 years and about 2 months), he will then be done with prison and be placed on five years of post-release supervision.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Nate. That was helpful

I'm glad to have been of assistance. Please do remember to rate my service to you today before you go.

Thanks!