P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

can a convicted felon on probation hunt with a muzzleloade

can a convicted felon on probation hunt with a muzzleloader
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The answer is no.

In AR, the statute, commonly referred to as the “felon in possession” statute, prohibits the possession of “firearms” by convicted felons. The term “firearm” is not defined in the applicable subchapter, but is defined for purposes of the entire Criminal Code at A.C.A. § 5-1-102(6) (Supp. 2003) as follows:

"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or any device readily convertible to that use, including such a device that is not loaded or lacks a clip or other component to render it immediately operable, and components that can readily be assembled into such a device. . . .

A muzzleloader fits this definition.

So if a convicted felon was in possession of a muzzleloader? They would be in violation of AR law.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can