Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I just got a dui today, first offense, what do I do now

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : For a first offense you're looking at potentially serious penalties, including losing your license for 3 months, a fine of at least $250 and potentially even some jail time. Here's a good link that outlines the law and penalties: http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/downloads/dui-bro-eng.pdf
Roger : The best thing you could do is consult a local attorney about trying to either find some technical error to defeat the charge (there are countless angles that a DUI citation can be attacked For instance, if you gave a breath test, you could look at whether or not the machine was properly calibrated, whether or not the officer had a valid certificate to operate the machine, whether the mouthpiece on the machine was changed out between blows, whether or not you were observed for a reasonable period of time before giving the test, whether or not you took anything by mouth that could affect the results, whether or not you take any medication that could affect the results, etc.
Roger : There are so many ways to fight these things, so you certainly have that option.
Roger : Also, an attorney could try to work out a deal with the prosecutor to reduce the charge to a lesser/less serious offense as a compromise.
Customer:

This has never happened before, really random

Roger : Well, its really good that it's a first offense as that's obviously the least serious type of dui. It's often possible to find some technicality to beat the charge. So, it's usually worth having a local attorney review the citation and the facts of your case.
Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX someone tomorrow.

Roger : No problem. You can search for attorneys by area of practice and location at www.martindale.com.