Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have a felony that is 15 years old my girlfriend is on probation

I have a felony that is 15 years old my girlfriend is on probation and her officer wants to check my background. Will we not be approved to live together? That was a different time in my life that I am completely removed from. Regards

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

I would love to be able to tell you what you want to hear, but the answer is that you will likely have an uphill battle getting parole to agree to letting you live together. It is a standard requirement of every probation agreement I have ever seen that the probationer must avoid socializing with former criminal offenders.

If it becomes an issue, and it probably will be, your girlfriend can argue the matter to her probation officer or even take the case before the judge. So you should start amassing whatever evidence you've got that shows that you've lived a lawful and productive life for the past 15 years so that she can show all of that to her probation officer and get him to reverse himself.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but I have seen probation and parole deny two offenders the right to marry or split up a household during the term of probation.

I wish you good luck convincing her PO and ask you not to shoot the messenger for telling you the law as it is.