How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 114029
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had received unemployment a couple of years ago while completely

This answer was rated:

I had received unemployment a couple of years ago while completely unemployed for almost a year in Michigan. I then got a job in Washington DC where I was on a 6 month probation for the job and was unsure I would remain there. This was the first time I had ever received unemployment and was still receiving unemployment while there for a few months. Unemployment in MI contacted me about unemployment fraud for a couple of thousand and then added fines to which it is now $15,000 which is well beyond what I can afford, especially as my job is temporary status and below the poverty line, what can be done to fix this other than removal of 25% of my pay which is what I've been told will happen within 30 days.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that you are in a very bad position here because you have committed an actual criminal offense and they could decide to pursue criminal prosecution as well as reimbursement. What you need to do, I am afraid to say since you lost a hearing is you would have to consider using an attorney in MI to file an appeal and then seek to negotiate some settlement with them to avoid garnishment. Sadly, this debt cannot even be discharged in bankruptcy as it is product of a fraud, so the attorney would try to negotiate a settlement and then seek to get the court to order a lower percentage of garnishment based on it creating a significant financial hardship for you to be garnished in that amount.

I wished the news was better for you on this, but this is the legal process that is in place and that you are going to have to follow I am afraid.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you