Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice
12176198

I regretfully made a mistake by taking my mom under my roof

I regretfully made a mistake by taking my mom under my roof not realizing at first that my PTSD was in remission for a while. I had a few flash backs concerning what my mother had done to to me over the years. To make a long story short, I wound up pushing my mother to the floor and causing her to become injured. Now family relations and my atterney are not giving me a chance to tell my story accept through a therapist. She is too affraid to have my disability stated on my records. My question is.... shound I write a letter to the court myself stating what happened and my mental illness in which I was not being treated for at that time because my husband and myself were both unemployed with no insurance to cover my medications.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 10 months ago.
Hello.

We aren't allowed to tell you what to do here because this is an information site, not an advice site. You have an attorney, and it is generally a good idea to follow your attorney's advice rather than to take matters into your own hands. If you are concerned about the attorney's advice, you may want to contact another attorney for a second opinion. I will say that a letter to the court will not help you, because first of all, a judge is not allowed to read ex parte communications (meaning that the prosecutor was not included in the communications) and second, anything you say can be used against you. If the judge sends a copy of the letter to the prosecutor, the prosecutor can use whatever is said against you at trial. So you may not intend to say anything that could get yourself in trouble, but by writing a letter you could inadvertently say things that will harm your case and your position. If I were you, I would either sit down with my current lawyer and discuss my concerns and ask him to outline his strategy in a manner in which I could understand it, and/or talk to a second attorney for another opinion, mostly because it is more likely that such a letter would do my case more harm than good.
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: 9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice