Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

1. Is groping (e.g. in public but disguised by a hug) illegal

1. Is groping (e.g. in public but disguised by a hug) illegal for an adult to do to a minor?
Witness would be the girl's sister, also a minor at the time.
Are lie detector tests helpful? E.g. victim takes test and passes.

2. If illegal, what is the statute of limitation. Girl is now of legal age.
3. If girl signs (while of legal age) a document saying that she won't take legal action, does there have to be consideration to make it valid?
4. Does it change anything if it's a blood relative (not immediate family)?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

1) If an adult touched any sexual organ, such as breast, vagina or anus, then it would be a sexual battery and this would be a criminal offense

2) the statute of limitations is 3 years from date of the offense.

3) if the child was not of legal age when it happened, they could not waive taking legal action, but she can file an affidavit of non-prosecution if the DA decides to try to prosecute and then it would be up to the DA to decide on charges. She cannot simply just drop charges.

4) No it does not change anything if the person is a relative. Polygraphs are not admissible in court I am afraid.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was over her clothes, 3+ times her age.

She made no claim at the time.

I think what you're saying is that if she signs something for that person, saying it never happened or that she won't press charges, then,,,,what?

Thank you for your response.

If she signs something saying she will not press charges now she is an adult then the DA would consider this if any complaint was ever filed with the DA and in most cases it would result in the DA not taking charges.