Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I was arraested for solicitating a prostitute( she was undercover).

I was arraested for solicitating a prostitute( she was undercover). In twenty mins I was released and was told to look or a letter in the mail for a date with a magistrate(sp) what can I expect?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

What state did this take place in?

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

PA

Customer:

an M3 offense never been arrested before

Alex J. Esq. :

Is this the first time you have been arrested for anything?

Customer:

YES

Alex J. Esq. :

§ 5902: Prostitution and related offenses
.

(e) Patronizing prostitutes.--A person commits the offense of patronizing prostitutes if that person hires a prostitute or any other person to engage in sexual activity with him or her or if that person enters or remains in a house of prostitution for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity.

(e.1) Grading of offenses under subsection (e).--An offense under subsection (e) constitutes a:

(1) Misdemeanor of the third degree when the offense is a first or second offense.

(2) Misdemeanor of the second degree when the offense is a third offense.

(3) Misdemeanor of the first degree when the offense is a fourth or subsequent offense.

(4) Felony of the third degree if the person who committed the offense knew that he or she was human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) positive or manifesting acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS).

.
So if this was a first offense, the penalty range is:
.
(5) For a misdemeanor of the third degree, a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding 90 days, or both.

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, the maximum penalty is a fine of up to $5000 and jail sentence up to 90 days upon conviction.

Customer:

so I might go to jail?

Alex J. Esq. :

Given the nature of the crime, it would be a very good idea to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney to represent you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Yes it is possible, but not generally very likely for the first offender.

Customer:

I will very nervous today

Customer:

one more question if I can?

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand and I am sorry.

Alex J. Esq. :

Generally, an experienced local criminal defense attorney might be able to get you into a first offender program, so as long as you complete your sentence, which might include fines, probation or community service your charge would be dismissed.

Customer:

I live about 1 hour from where I was arrested .In a different county. Should I retain a lawyer in my county or in the county where I was arrested?

Alex J. Esq. :

It is always a good idea to retain a local criminal lawyer in the county where you got arrested and where your case is pending.

Customer:

Thanks good to know

Alex J. Esq. :

Not only that would save you on travel time, but also you want a lawyer who is familiar with the local court, prosecutors and judges.

Customer:

I thought so. I have NEVER been involved in the legal system

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, bad things do happen to good people sometimes, but in the future keep in mind that it is not only illegal to solicit a prostitute, but it can be extremely dangerous and risky in many other ways.

Customer:

Thank you Alex...........

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer:

I have learned my lesson

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor