Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

2 years ago i was arrested for petit larceny from walmart i

2 years ago i was arrested for petit larceny from walmart i got and atty and the case was dismissed. i went to kolhs and they said that i did not pay for some jewellry that was still in the cart not in my bag and security called the police was arrested for petit larceny should i get an atty and do i have to go to court with the atty
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me in which state this happen and value of the merchandise alleged to be stolen?

Customer:

its in new york orange county and merchandise was about $93

Alex J. Esq. :

Thank you for this information.

Customer:

are you online with me

Alex J. Esq. :

It is a misdemeanor crime and it would be a very good idea for you to hire a local criminal defense attorney to represent you in this case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Especially, if you did not commit this crime and did not intend to shoplift.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

if i get and atty do i have to go to court

Alex J. Esq. :

Yes

Alex J. Esq. :

you will have to go to criminal court for the next hearing.

Alex J. Esq. :

This is a criminal case, so it would require for you to attend most court hearings

Customer:

yes but looking in the camera they said it show that i did have intent

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, DA will have to prove it to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt.

Customer:

what if the DA find me guilty what will happen

Alex J. Esq. :

DA cannot find you guilty

Alex J. Esq. :

Only jury or judge can find you guilty

Alex J. Esq. :

DA has to prove to the jury or judge that you are guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, in order to convict you of this crime.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

this is in my community i am a nursing student and my husband is a physician it is so embarrassing and they put your name in the local newspaper, is there anyway the atty can go to court without me

Alex J. Esq. :

Generally not

Alex J. Esq. :

unless the court would agree to waive your appearance.

Customer:

how can i get the court to waive my appearance

Alex J. Esq. :

your attorney would have to file a motion

Customer:

ok i would try to find a local atty to represent me

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, petit larceny is a class a misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000 upon conviction, so it is a serious crime that would require proper legal counsel for you.

Alex J. Esq. :

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer:

thank you

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dear XXXXX,

I wish you the best of luck.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor