Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I was arrested for loitering/slash soliciting prostitution

I was arrested for loitering/slash soliciting prostitution in sacramento California I am wondering what to do .....first offense

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

In California, this is a misdemeanor with a maximum possible jail penalty of 6 months and/or a fine of $1,000. But it is a non-violent offense and the likelihood that you will see any jail with regard to this case is about nil.

Nevertheless, you should have yourself a criminal lawyer when you show up for your case, because you certainly want to keep a charge like this off of your record. Additionally, some of these loitering charges, depending upon the facts, are really marginal cases. Yours may be a case which cah be dismissed or where you've got a clear entrapment defense to the charges.

It's also possible on a first arrest for a lawyer to negotiate a reduction or a deferral disposition. A deferral would be the next best thing to an acquittal or an outright dismissal. That's where you have a period of community supervision, pay fines and do some community service and stay out of trouble. After you successfully complete your requirements, your matter would be dismissed so that you would be able to say that you'd never had a criminal conviction.

If you don't know where to find a criminal lawyer, you can contact the California bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50 which includes a 1/2 hour free consultation with the lawyer.

Good luck!