Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

In 1996/97 I was arrested for bad checks. I was diagnosed as

Customer Question

In 1996/97 I was arrested for bad checks. I was diagnosed as being bipolar in 1999. I did complete probation and the restitution was paid. I have never renewed my TX DL license due to honestly fear.The trama I went through with arrests were devastating. I need a DL as I drive without one now under constant fear, since I have young children and they are with me often. How can I find out what my status is so that I can apply for a new license and put this behind me. I have had some episodes since then, but nothing like in the 90s. I have been stable for more than 6 yrs, but just don't know what to do now. I keep considering moving to a city where I do not drive as I work from home and have a valid passport. I have undergone background checks for jobs recently, but am not sure who thorough those are.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

I have read your facts, is there a specific question I could assist you with?

Customer :

Is there any way to check before I apply for a new license if there is anything that would prevent that? I am unsure if there is anything outstanding from years ago on my record.

Dwayne B. :

There is no way to officially check. However, you can talk to private investigators or criminal defense attorneys, particularly those who used to be in the DAs offices, and they can use sources inside the police department to find that out.

Dwayne B. :

Most background checks are reasonably good at finding stuff out like this.

Dwayne B. :

However, the best way is the PI or criminal defense lawyers. They will be able to tell you before you hire them whether or not they can find the information.

Customer :

Wonderful thank you

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome. One more thing, you may have to speak to several different people before you find one who is positive they can get you the information.

Dwayne B. :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.