Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Why would a Private Investigator stop communications? He was

Why would a Private Investigator stop communications? He was helpful for a short time, and then stopped responding to my emails and phone calls; I was never a bother; never communicated except once every couple of months, and that was a simple one sentence message. Is the trail too cold? If so why not just tell me and not leave the matter hanging.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you had a contract with the PI then they are obligated to the contract. If you have paid them for their work, then they are obligated to communicate with you. If he is not communicating with you and you have paid him, then you can sue him for breach of contract and can seek to recover what you have paid him.

Even if the trail has gone cold, he had a duty to report that to you. If he will not communicate with you then you can file a complaint against them with the local District Attorney who is responsible for licensing of private investigators.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.