Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

i just ended a 4yr relationship. We live together he does not

Customer Question

i just ended a 4yr relationship. We live together he does not work and never has worked the time we were together, i have payed for everything, he left me in Palm springs and took off in my car thats in my name to long beach, How do i go about getting my car back from him
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 months ago.

Samuel II :

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

Samuel II :

So the car is in your name only and you did make a request for him to return it, correct?

Samuel II :

I see you are here and are typing.

Customer:

he is back at my place with the car. we are both on the lease unfortunatly so he can be there. i want my car back so i can look for a new place to live

Samuel II :

Right. And so the car is there now. And it is your name only - Correct?

Samuel II :

Do you have keys to it?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

no he has the key

Samuel II :

I see

Samuel II :

I suggest you can call the police and tell them that he has the key to your car, he has taken your car and you want them to do a police report for vehicle theft.

Samuel II :

Tell them that you do not give him permission to have it in his possessio

Samuel II :

You will need to have a copy of the Title and Registration showing Ownership

Samuel II :

There is no reason that the police should not get involved.

Customer:

i told him to take the car in Palm Springs thinking he would be back shortly but when i realize he was not bringing it back and using the car to see me im not ok with

Customer:

that was 6 days ago

Samuel II :

That's alright. Now, you have told him you want it back.

Customer:

yes

Samuel II :

That means if he has not returned it, then you have a right to call the police

Customer:

how can i get the car with out seeing him, can i have a friend pick it up

Samuel II :

I thought you said he has the key?

Samuel II :

If you have a key you can go get it.

Customer:

either way im screwed yes he has the only key

Samuel II :

You should be with the friend in case he calls the police and you can show you are the legal owner

Samuel II :

Then call the police and report it stolen.

Customer:

got it

Samuel II :

Tell them you told him you want it back

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.