Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I am probably taking something of a risk asking this question

Customer Question

I am probably taking something of a risk asking this question online (email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX). I am in Colorado. I'll try to be very brief. I was terrorized by members of organized crime. I have good reason to believe, not only that they members of organized crime, but they were, perhaps still are, involved in prostitution and pornography production (what else I don't know). The terrorizing tactics were intended to break me psychologically to the extent I would acquiesce to their will and, presumably, eventually become profitable to them (specifically how I could not say). What they hadn't counted on was that I would rather be dead than a member of and profitable to organized crime so I have put-up quite a fight. It did, at one point, nearly kill me and I do not expect to survive this long term. Although, I don't worry about that; what I am doing is the right and only thing for me to do regardless of consequences. These tactics are not unheard of and law enforcement professionals are familiar with them; they are just difficult to prove. Over the course of this process (and it has been six years now since I first sought help from the local police department) I have accused the police of undermining my efforts endeavoring to protect the criminals from the charges of felony menacing I have made. Of course I realize that I am making very serious charges yet, I have produced written material evidence that does support my claims in both cases. Yet, how strong that evidence is, I could not say. This is an ongoing investigation being conducted by the local DA and FBI. I do continue to provide the DA and the FBI with information (in emails as recently as last week) as I recall events and persons involved over time. I am in a safer situation now than I was (they were neighbors) however, this has not been easy (turned my life upside-down) and I would like for either the FBI or DA to make a move so-to-speak (indict I quess). What could be going on presently and how much longer could all this take? I have not sought legal advise and am not inclined to at this time. -- L.T.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us and requesting me. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Your question was: What could be going on presently and how much longer could all this take?

Dwayne B. :

Can you explain what you mean by "what could be going on presently"? I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Customer:

Is there potentially a grand jury investigation going on? Why has not the DA or the FBI been responsive? I do know for certain that there is on ongoing investigation with the FBI.

Dwayne B. :

There could easily be a grand jury investigation going on, either federal or state, although usually the majority of the investigation is already completed by the time the DA goes to the Grand Jury.

Dwayne B. :

Of course, GJ investigations are secret so the only way you would know is if you were called as a witness at it.

Dwayne B. :

The DA may be playing this "close to the vest" because of the organized crime allegations. it has been my experience that this type of case will often take longer and be kept very secret because of their tendency to try and influence witnesses.

Customer:

Does not all the written information I have provided (which is considerable) make it unnecessary to be called as witness?

Dwayne B. :

No, the grand jurors may want to question you and at an actual trial all of that information is not admissible.

Customer:

I should add, influence (either in threats or money) has been subtly and not so subtly suggested. I cannot be influenced. I know you have little information but, can you even guess how much longer I would have to be called before a grand jury?

Dwayne B. :

I have seen these investigations take years and years. It depends on what all is implicated. The facts you have given suggest both federal and state crimes and if they are both involved it becomes even more convoluted.

Customer:

correction...I would have to wait before being called...

Dwayne B. :

When is the last time you spoke with anyone?

Dwayne B. :

Actually spoke with them, not email.

Customer:

I had a police officer come to my home (my art website had been converted into a porn site). in January 2013. Prior to that, maybe a month and FBI agent contacted me and I met with the DA a year ago in August. I contacted our senator and they told me there is an ongoing investigation.

Dwayne B. :

You met with the DA in August 2011?

Customer:

yes

Dwayne B. :

My best guess is they will file charges within six months or so, but that can vary. What usually happens in this case is each time they think they are complete they find something else. Usually the FBI does something in 12-18 months, which would make it coming up pretty soon but the bigger the case the longer it takes.

Dwayne B. :

I have seen some be investigated for 3 or more years.

Customer:

This is a convoluted case. These persons manage hundreds of student housing units. They are quite wealthy and their influence extends throughout the community. I have not been unreasonable realizing how messy this could be but, I do want closure. I first contacted the FBI 4 years ago.

Dwayne B. :

I understand your point and 4 years is a long time. The issue is that they want to be sure and cover every base because they have a limited amount of time to acquire information after they file since the defendant can ask for a speedy trial and if they aren't prepared they can waste their one shot.

Dwayne B. :

If it is ongoing then they can be just giving them more rope to hang themselves.

Customer:

Let's hope so. Thank you.

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome and best wishes to you on this. Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

Dwayne B. :

Also, if you think of it drop me a note at this thread when it wraps up and let me know what happens.

Customer:

Okay, this was helpful.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.

Also, I’d ask you to consider issuing a high rating (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as that ensures I can continue to assist people in this category.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I answered your question about when I last spoke with the DA incorrectly. It was in August 2012 (not 2011). As I have already stated I've provided additional information to the DA and FBI as recently as last week and, while I know nothing of what is or is not of use to them, I consider it quite unlikely they would not follow-up on some of that information. As I have already stated I first went to the police 6 years ago and the FBI 4 years ago seeking help; desperately - I'm fine now but was then, quite frankly, terrified. During this time, the police attempted to commit me to a psychiatric ward for 3 days against my will or knowing what they were attempting. I told the professionals at the hospital exactly what I was dealing with and they, obviously believing me, released me. I should add I have no criminal record or history of mental illness. I do not do drugs nor am I an alcoholic. I pay my bills, have no debt not even on my home.

I suspect I've provided the most substantial information, or leads, this past year. Therefore, I have most likely contributed to the protracting of the process all along even though I am wanting it wrapped-up. And, who knows what other information they may be receiving or what connections they could be making to other crimes committed.

It's all a bit thick; like I said, these people have considerable wealth and influence. I do have, at least to some degree that I am aware of, protection. Above all things I want the FBI to succeed here (putting an end to these people's criminal activities) and cannot risk interfering with that possibility by stating anything specific online. I did recently convey to them and the DA that, given my current circumstances (it does affect how I live my life), what I have endured and what I have contributed, my position (meaning desiring that this come to a conclusion in the near future) is worthy of their consideration. If it takes too long the efficacy of an achieved desired outcome (their being criminally charged and convicted) becomes diluted for they can inflict a great deal of harm in the meantime. Also, are there statute of limitations concerns here? Any professional insight or suggestions you might have here would be most appreciated.

There are statute of limitations issues, they vary depending on the charges, whether the "schemes" are ongoing or completed, etc.

What we are seeing is that a lot of investigations are now taking longer because so much is done by computer now and so you not only have the problem with finding the crimes (and funds) but also tying them to a particular person or people. Since you have been told the investigation is ongoing then my suspicion is it is a lot larger than you thought and so they just keep following more and more leads. Some of the people could have already been indicted in a "sealed indictment" and they just aren't letting people know so they can work deals for testimony, etc.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How glad I am I found this site online. You have made things more clear to me than they were. Living here day to day, and this is not a large town, my impression is that certain persons are quite nervous (avoiding specifics here). Perhaps you have explained why.

If I were to receive a summons to appear before a GJ how much time between the notification and the date of the GJ hearing? Would I be coached by the FBI or DA? or should I seek an attorney at that time?

There can be as short as a day or two to appear before a GJ but usually it is a couple of weeks. Almost certainly someone from law enforcement, likely the DA, would meet with you ahead of time to discuss what happens.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much. I am not inclined to sign-up for more services here although I feel I have received professional information that exceeds what has been charged me. Should I get to the point where I do need more professional legal advise I shall contact you again at that time.

Thanks!
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dwayne B.

I did rate your service as shown above and added an additional $37 payment being as I thought it was well worth a second payment.

Thanks very much! It was much appreciated!