Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I was just pulled over after leaving a massage parlor. The

I was just pulled over after leaving a massage parlor. The officer asked me if I received any sexual services. I did not and responded no. He then asked me how I knew about the place and if I was offered sexual services. I was asked if I would like anything extra at the end and I declined the offer and left shortly thereafter. He took my information and said he would be calling me to bring me to his office for additional questioning. I have a clean record and am not interested in services of this kind. I just went for a Friday afternoon to relax. I am worried sick because it appears the massage parlor is being targeted for possible prostitution. Since I did not partake, can I be detained, subpoenaed or otherwise charged with anything for being there?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Since I did not partake, can I be detained, subpoenaed or otherwise charged with anything for being there?
.
No, as long as you didn't engage in any type of illegal activity, the police wouldn't have any probable cause to charge you with anything or force you to answer any questions. It is not illegal to obtain a massage and even if they are targeting the place for suspicion of illegal activity, you haven't done anything wrong and they can't prove anything or they would have tried to cite you when they initially contacted you.
.
With that said, unless they actually charge you with some type of crime, you are under no obligation to submit to any questioning. Even if they do, you can simply assert your right to remain silend and refuse to answer any questions.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response. Does that mean I do not have to comply when asked to come in for questioning? If I don't go in for questioning, can they ask me to do or say anything else? Go to court? I have never experienced anything like this and had never had a massage so I was completely taken aback by this situation.
Does that mean I do not have to comply when asked to come in for questioning?
.
Yes, the police don't have a right to simply call someone in for questioning unless they have been charged with a crime. So you can simply refuse to come in if they contact you.

If I don't go in for questioning, can they ask me to do or say anything else? Go to court?
.
Theoretically they could subpoena you to court if they charge the business with any crime. But once again, you can simply exercise your right to remain silent and refuse to testify or make any statements. A person has a 5th Amendment right to remain silent and refuse to make any statements that may serve to implicate themselves in any illegal activity.
.
.
Thanks