Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

My Grandaughter was caught for shoplifting. She is 20 yrs old.

My Grandaughter was caught for shoplifting. She is 20 yrs old. In the mail she just received a Warrant & notice to appear. I called the Public Defender, he was kind enough to look up the case & informed me that she missed a court appearance date of 10/6/13. She says she never received the Oct. 6th notice. That's probably true as I pick up all the mail. I understand she need to appear ASAP in court. There is Bail of $5,000 on the Warrant. Is she going to have to post bail or go to jail? As she has no money, will she be appointed a Public Defender? What can she expect?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

She may be able to avoid jail and bail. She needs to go to the court when it is in session and address the court after the docket call, with her notice to appear in hand, and explain what happened. Usually the court will give another court date.

Regardless of what happens, if she has no money, she will get an appointed attorney. After she resolves the missed court appearance, she will be given a new court date to address the shoplifting.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In addition she was sent a bill for $250 from an Attorney saying they represent the Store & she needs to pay the $250. The amt. she attempted to steal was substantially less. Should she pay the $250?

That's a civil matter. The criminal matter is more important. She needs to ignore that and address the criminal charges.